Can You Smell Your Memories?♨️

Do you remember stuffs when you smell something familiar? Are you taken back to that moment when you breath and suddenly it’s the smell that reminds you of a memory?

Smell as it seems is a powerful weapon and can bring back a rush of memories. Some maybe unwanted , some very pleasant. For me if I smell something familiar I can literally travel from one place to another and stay there for a while deep in memories. Sometimes it does happen I find it really hard to recognise the smell and then I start joining the dots and only stop when I finally recall. The mind is just as stupid. It just doesn’t know when to stop.

Not always is the memory a fond one. I mostly have fond memories like when I visited Kashmir. There was a particular soap I used there and whenever I happen to smell that soap till date I am immediately taken back to that time. The scenic beauty, the greenery, the snow. What is not there to love? Such a beautiful place that you just can’t help but keep want to visit it again and again.

Then there is the smell of book. It gives me immense happiness that cannot be described. (Though I am sure most of you who love reading would relate to this easily.) Not to forget the Smell of wet soil. Anyone? It just brings back memories of rainy season and somehow my childhood days.

Does it make me sound weird if I say sometimes I want to eat a particular smell? Like the smell of petrol. I can never get enough of it. Whenever I am in a petrol pump I am that weirdo who keeps exhaling the smell of petrol like some sort of fresh air. I know it’s poisonous but I want to taste petrol. Maybe on my deathbed. That could be my last wish. What? I would already be dying. Might as well taste it and die a few seconds earlier.

I understand though not all memories are worth remembering. Like the smell of the rejected love letter or that of the broken heart. For those who can really relate to this will know that how a familiar smell can ruin ones memory too. (For a period of time till the smell goes off). Again you cannot be someone to decide which memory to keep and which to not if you have a strong nose and can remember the fragrances. One bad memory can ruin the smell of even a great perfume. Right?

Let me know if you have a strong nose too and are hit by memories if you smell something familiar. Do you like the nostalgic feeling?

PS : I know I have strong nose and add to it a strong hearing power too. Just like my dog. I liked it when my family compared me to her though. I guess I took all those dog training days quite seriously🐕

Feel free to share and re-blog my posts if you like and to have instant updates of what’s happening in my life you can connect with me on Instagram: @missteriosodas ~ Head Full Of Dreams ♥ and Twitter: Missbindas ♥

🌹Featured image from MI wallpaper

1. I can so relate to it. You wrote what I always felt. Beautiful 💛

1. Thank you so much ☺️

2. missmwriter says:

Interesting post, MissteriosDas. The smell of banana and strawberry mixed together always reminds me of my grandma. I spent a great deal of my childhood at her house and she always had a fridge full of banana and strawberry yogurt.

1. Ah that is such a happy memory 🤗 I loved the way how my grandmas place used to smell. From all her clothes too. ☺️

3. Auroraboros says:

I know exactly what you mean. I believe that scent is one of the senses most closely tied to memories, though we have slowly removed it from rank in our conscious perception.

I was just talking with Blackbird about this the other day… We discussed the smell of vanilla, of petrol/gasoline, of bonfire, and of old homes. These can trigger vivid memories under the right conditions, far beyond memories associated to sight/sound…

1. That’s kind of true. We don’t really give it the proper ranking. Smell can evoke strong emotions. I particularly love the smell of petrol. I don’t know why though.🤷

1. Auroraboros says:

Yeah, I feel the same way. It is a powerful smell that I find completely entrancing. As you mention, it evokes a certain hunger, a longing…

1. Glad you feel the same. Exactly. Definitely feel hungry for petrol 😂

4. Great post! Strongest memory relayed sense!

1. Thank you Laura for appreciating. ☺️

5. I like the post 🙂 Although I am not as sensitive as you are to smells, I can relate to it. Have you noticed, songs do that to you as well?

1. Oh yes!!! Songs have the same power too. A bit too much if I must say. Mostly the sad songs 😂

1. True. There was this song that I’d heard quite a lot when I was reading a series called Ponniyin Selvan. It was a Tamil series originally, and I was reading the English version of it. One hell of a series, btw. Historical fiction. ❤️ Anyhow, every time I listen to the song now, it takes me back to imagery from the book. I feel like I’m living part of the book again.

1. Wow, I haven’t watched it but now I am intrigued. That must be such a great feeling. Sometimes you just want to get inside that moment and stay there forever. 😀

1. Ok I will definitely give it a try😀

6. Oh! What a relatable post !
    I absolutely loved it, to me too it is the smell that takes me back to the memory lane.
    And about the petrol, i feel the same !
    What a great post it is !

1. Thank you so much. I am glad you could relate to it. I guess petrol is quite an intoxicating smell that we all fall for😀

7. Fariha says:

I relate to this a lot…I mean a particular perfume used for some occasions, flowers for that matter or even a particular cuisine brings back lots of memories…
    And I too love the smell of petrol and new varnish etc.
    Hehe

1. How can I forget the smell of varnish. That’s such a strong smell too. Love it 😀 I am glad you could relate to this post. Thank you Fariha ❤️

You’re so right. How one smell makes us feel nostalgic! Sometimes I wish we could put such smell/scent in a bottle, keep it somewhere safe and when we want it, we could just uncork the bottle then smell and relive the memories that come with it…

1. You’re so right. That would be such a perfect way to relive our memories whenever we want to. It could definitely give instant happiness whenever one felt low 😍

2. And I just saw I started with the same line as yours 😂 I guess we both are right 🤗

We are definitely right! Haha! Have a great day! 🙂

1. Have a great day you too😀

Yes definitely! The smell of fresh cut grass although it makes me sneeze, it also reminds me of fun days spent inn the parks… X

1. I love the smell of fresh cut grass too!!! And watered soil. I don’t know but I feel so much at home just smelling it 😀

10. Artemisa007 says:

Yeah, I do! And btw, I tagged you for the Funny questions tag!

1. Thank you for nominating me 😍

11. Nomadosauras says:

Yes, I do too! Actually there’s a twist.
    I never recall the memory immediately after smelling something familiar! So it’s almost always a sort of bollywood melodramatic recap where things play in fast-rewind (and in negative colours, at that! à la the 1980’s Karz movie!) until I finally arrive at the moment with which I associate the smell 😀
    And I find an odd satisfaction in the way dogs go about sniffing things.. as if they are some child who refused to give up his/her curiosity 😀
    Great post!
    Cheers!

1. Haha I guess you are a movie buff and hence everything melodramatic 😂 I could totally imagine the way you recall. I do that too sometimes. But mostly knowingly. Just because I like being melodramatic too🙈
      I love it how you quoted the dog scenario. That is so true!!! I love their curiosity 😀

1. Nomadosauras says:

Cheers to being melodramatic canine lovers! 😂

12. She says:

I actually know where you are coming from with the petrol thing😆😆 oddly addictive, and like all this addictive, it is very bad! 😀

1. It’s like getting attracted to something bad even after knowing it’s bad for you. But you just can’t help😀

13. kutukamus says:

I’ve never given this smell thing quite a thought. And now I do. 🙂
    But really, put it that way, you sure have a strong nose! 🍸

1. I do have a strong nose. Not sure though if it is something to be proud of or not😂

1. Thank you so much🤗

14. I can relate so much to my experiences of smelling from your post and the comments by other fellow bloggers that I don’t have anything left to share with.
    Just wants to say to you that it is one of the best and unique posts that I read today.
    Happy blogging.😊

1. That made my day. Thank you for appreciating and encouraging me as well. Happy blogging you too❤️

1. You are welcome dear.😊💕

15. jyo says:

Beautiful write up and great perspective 💯

1. Thank you for appreciating. Means a lot😍

16. Squid says:

Reminds me of the Twenty One Pilots song Stressed Out:
    “Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young
    How come I’m never able to identify where it’s coming from
    I’d make a candle out of it if I ever found it
    Try to sell it, never sell out of it, I’d probably only sell one
    It’d be to my brother, ’cause we have the same nose
    Same clothes homegrown a stone’s throw from a creek we used to roam
    But it would remind us of when nothing really mattered
    Out of student loans and tree-house homes we all would take the latter”

1. So true. That would be like a dream come true. I would like to have candle too. Just me and for my family maybe. It’s also because the childhood memories are one of the purest and the best. I just crave to go back to that phase and relive the moments. We really had nothing to worry about then. Isn’t it☺️

1. Glad you’re in board 😀

17. Winnie says:

I can relate to you since I also have a very strong sense of smell. Though I have to disagree with your first paragraph 😁. I hate the smell of Petrol. Never a fan of that smell.

1. Noooo. Really? How can you hate the smell of petrol 😂 I could just drink it right now. 😋

1. Winnie says:

😁😁 My nose is too sensitive to strong smell 😁. Really? 😆

18. masercot says:

The smell of liquid asphalt reminds me of riding in a car over a bridge near the train yard in Jacksonville…

19. grumpygorman says:

I totally relate to this..I’ve always been very scent driven

1. Glad you could relate to this 😀

20. Uzma says:

Fantastic idea, the title is so unique that I curiously jumped on to it. The memories of soap, soil etc make the reader actually feel, touch and share your experiences. Brilliant !!

1. I am so glad you could relate. Thank you for appreciating. If yiu come to think of it, Memories do have a strong smell. ☺️

21. Yasmin says:

I can totally relate to this😃
    Along with the smell some songs have the same effect on me
    Wonderfully written👌💗

1. Yes songs have the same effect too. If not stronger 🙂

22. I like that smell too, but I am NOT interested in tasting it. Lol!

1. Hahaha.. I would only If I could taste petrol 😂

23. ortensia says:

No weird at at all the best of my memories have a smell,weather is food,cake or the plastic smell of the old dolls😀

1. Ah those are some wonderful smells. They make you time travel 😀

1. ortensia says:

They are!❤️

24. oh, the lovely smell of book. i wish they made perfume like that. it reminds me of my childhood. 🙂

1. I know!!! I would love to have that kind of perfume🙂 Also I know this is a super late reply. This was in spam. :X

25. vinneve says:

So true! I am glad that I am not the only one whose like this haha! Fortunately, all those smells reminded me of happiness or good memories!

1. Of course you’re not the only one. High Five! 😀
      That’s really great. Cheers to good memories ❤

26. msw blog says:

I can so relate to this post. You and your readers may enjoy this post on the topic

1. I am glad you could relate to this one. 🙂
      Checking out your post now. I am sure I will enjoy it. 🙂

27. Such a vivid expression!..beautiful.post!!🌠🌹

1. Thank you so much dear☺️
      Means a lot❤️

28. I recently bought a lotion that I had only quickly smelt the other day, thought the scent was amazing.
    After a few days had passed I remembered that I bought it and went ahead and put it on my hands.. holy memories, I stood there floored getting lost in a time frame in my teen years, I had this lotion before. I had “borrowed” it from a school mates house. I sat there just seeing this Memory movie playing in complete shock… It made me think of a sweetheart dance I had in 7th grade… to the point I actually remembered the kids name that took me and could see what I was wearing!

I completely, 100% completely, feel where your coming from on this! xo B.K

1. Wow, even I time traveled with you. I could literally fell what you must have gone through at the moment. Such amazing things these small stuffs can do 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing your memories ❤

29. I like the smell of car exhaust on a crisp winter day.

1. Oh I can relate to this one too. True that.

1. Or freshly laid tar.

30. Smell of petrol tops the list, along with the smell of mud after the first rains! Heavenly. And then they’ll always be that special person, she may be around somewhere around you-you can’t see her, but your can always recognize her fragrance

1. How true! One can always know a person by their fragrance. 🙂

31. Good post – we need to read more like this, as most info for this topic is lacking something. You provide real insight to your readers.

32. You can create interest in any topic! Good job!

1. Thank you for appreciating 🙂